May and June 2015
As June comes to a close the temperature in Spain is soaring. So too are the numbers of pilgrims arriving from the Camino with over 1600 arriving yesterday. The end of June marks the end of the first two months of the Camino Chaplaincy 2015. It is also the end of the first two weeks of the Chaplaincy Outreach project on the meseta.
![]() |
| Robin and John Pigott with the Archbishop of Santiago |
In Santiago the ministry is in full flow with Fr Joe Cochlain saying Mass daily, providing the Sacrament of Reconciliation, leading an Evening Service from Monday to Friday and being available to pilgrims for private conversations. In these first two months he has been assisted by Pastoral Workers Annette and Richard from the USA, Alan from Australia and John and Robin also from the USA.
Camino Outreach
Fr Gerard Postlethwaite, Parish Priest of English Martyrs Parish in Somerset, England, is the first of two volunteer priests who are taking part in a pilot project to assess how best we can provide a ministry to pilgrims whilst they are on Camino. Based in Moratinos, a village right in the middle of the Camino Francés, both priests will provide daily Mass and will walk the nearby Camino spending time with the passing pilgrims. Fr Gerard is in Moratinos for three weeks at the moment and in August Fr Alan Neville will take up the reins also for three weeks. Based on their experiences we will assess how best to respond to pilgrims' needs.
Here is a selection of his daily postings:
![]() |
| Moratinos |
At
the still point of the turning world
Moratinos has a population of 22! You might wonder what might
happen there. Well I can tell you quite a lot.
When I was waiting for two friends to arrive a group of pilgrims
wandered down the street. One of them was a nun in full habit. Later I
discovered that they were all Polish and amongst them was a priest called
Weldemar who works in the Secretariat of State in the Vatican.
Later, on the road to Teradillos I met Francesco from Sicily pushing his bike. If I was riding we wouldn't be talking, he said, and that is what the Camino is about.
At Teradillos I wandered over to the Alberge Templarios and the owner insisted on giving me a bottle of water. She is a real supporter of these masses and makes sure that the Pilgrims know about them.
On the way back I fell into conversation with a lady from Valencia who asked how the local clergy viewed my ministry. Outside the church there was a couple from Germany who spoke excellent Spanish. We were then joined by a couple from South Africa who were on their 51st day having started at Le Puy. I happened to mention Central America and Thomas, the German declared that he had been in Chalatenango El Salvador (my home for 11 years)
One of the last to arrive at Mass was a young man from Lithuania called Donatus (gift from God). There were eight French at Mass and so many of the introductions were done in French. Three ladies from the Mas if Central shocked me with the news that Mons Henri Brincard was dead. (Readers of my blog santiagoinsandals.blogspot.co.uk will know that Mons Brincard had a profound effect on me in 2013 )
There was a real sense of presence at Mass . Things happen at the heart of the Camino. At the still point of the turning world, there the dance is . There may only be 22 people in Moratinos but there is much more.
Later, on the road to Teradillos I met Francesco from Sicily pushing his bike. If I was riding we wouldn't be talking, he said, and that is what the Camino is about.
At Teradillos I wandered over to the Alberge Templarios and the owner insisted on giving me a bottle of water. She is a real supporter of these masses and makes sure that the Pilgrims know about them.
On the way back I fell into conversation with a lady from Valencia who asked how the local clergy viewed my ministry. Outside the church there was a couple from Germany who spoke excellent Spanish. We were then joined by a couple from South Africa who were on their 51st day having started at Le Puy. I happened to mention Central America and Thomas, the German declared that he had been in Chalatenango El Salvador (my home for 11 years)
One of the last to arrive at Mass was a young man from Lithuania called Donatus (gift from God). There were eight French at Mass and so many of the introductions were done in French. Three ladies from the Mas if Central shocked me with the news that Mons Henri Brincard was dead. (Readers of my blog santiagoinsandals.blogspot.co.uk will know that Mons Brincard had a profound effect on me in 2013 )
There was a real sense of presence at Mass . Things happen at the heart of the Camino. At the still point of the turning world, there the dance is . There may only be 22 people in Moratinos but there is much more.
Making connections
I was in the Church well before 7.00am and the family from
Florida showed up as did another lady from mass . We had a good conversation
and then the family headed off . After praying in church the lady asked me
again about St John the Baptist (today's feast) and his words: 'I must decrease
and he must increase. ' She wrote this down on her credencial. I had also
explained to the group that John the Baptist feast comes just after the longest
day to mirror these words. She was also fascinated when I explained
that the pre - Christian midwinter feast had been of the ' uncreated sun' and
we now celebrate the created son of God.
Before she left she commented that by participating in the celebration of Mass had helped her to make new connections on the Camino.
Yesterday we had been more than 20.
The German group came through and spent some time singing in the church.
Before she left she commented that by participating in the celebration of Mass had helped her to make new connections on the Camino.
Yesterday we had been more than 20.
The German group came through and spent some time singing in the church.
In his own world
The heat just now is criminal-36 at the hottest part of the day.
That was precisely why I avoided these months when I was planning my Camino two
years ago.
As I walked over to Teradillos I reflected that, in this heat, an accident can have frightening consequences. Having opened the church I set off for the Albergue. There was only one group outside settling into large beers.I greeted them in English but sensed that they would be happier relaxing over a beer than coming to Mass! Inside Maria Antonia was not around and the barman said that there were very few pilgrims.
As I walked over to Teradillos I reflected that, in this heat, an accident can have frightening consequences. Having opened the church I set off for the Albergue. There was only one group outside settling into large beers.I greeted them in English but sensed that they would be happier relaxing over a beer than coming to Mass! Inside Maria Antonia was not around and the barman said that there were very few pilgrims.
I wandered back to the church only to
find one man already waiting for Mass . He spoke with an Irish accent but said
that he had problems with hearing. Reb arrived saying that there were only
three pilgrims in Moratinos. Paddy had also come so it looked as if we would be
a foursome. At the introductions the Irish man said that he was called Paul and
that he lip reads. I reflected that so much of the joy of the Camino is the
interplay with others and Paul would be excluded from much of this. I was just
about to start when two girls from Slovakia arrived with a couple from Poland.
They were delighted that the mass would be in English. During the first reading
another group arrived. It was a father and his three sons from Washington State
. In the end it was a lovely group.
When the pilgrims were
leaving the father said that it was the most moving mass that he had ever
attended. 'This i what it must have been like in the early church'!
Reb is off to Ponferrada
today and will not be back until after I have left. It has been good working
with her.
Today, by way of a difference, I am concelebrating with Padre Gaspar at the Feast in Teradillos.
Today, by way of a difference, I am concelebrating with Padre Gaspar at the Feast in Teradillos.
Latin
verve
I closed the church after about an hour and a half and then
headed off for a coffee. Mass in Moratinos had originally been scheduled for
11.30am. Due to the fiesta in Teradillos this had been brought forward half an
hour. I knew that chaos would ensue! Even though I rang the bells at 10.30
there was no sign of movement! By 11 there were only Paddy, Reb, Oliver,
Milagros, and three others in the church. After I started a few others trickled
in.
At the end Modesto was the first to reprimand me for starting early. It meant nothing to him that I pointed out that the time had been changed at the door of the church.
Reb and I set off to Teradillos only to find the church firmly closed. I went off in search of someone to ring the bells when a man appeared. Within minutes people were emerging from every part of the town and the church was comfortably full when we started. I mentioned my time in Honduras during the Sermon and, at the end, one of the ladies said that her husband is from Honduras.
Another lady wanted to know why I was standing at the back of the church at the end of Mass! As we were leaving four men came in to lift down the statue of St Peter for tomorrow.
All in all a very latin Sunday morning, but most effective.
At the end Modesto was the first to reprimand me for starting early. It meant nothing to him that I pointed out that the time had been changed at the door of the church.
Reb and I set off to Teradillos only to find the church firmly closed. I went off in search of someone to ring the bells when a man appeared. Within minutes people were emerging from every part of the town and the church was comfortably full when we started. I mentioned my time in Honduras during the Sermon and, at the end, one of the ladies said that her husband is from Honduras.
Another lady wanted to know why I was standing at the back of the church at the end of Mass! As we were leaving four men came in to lift down the statue of St Peter for tomorrow.
All in all a very latin Sunday morning, but most effective.
Early
on a Sunday
During mass last night the man from the Philippines mentioned
that the Camino was helping him to re assess his relationship with the church.
'I feel like a lost sheep' he said. I reflected on this as I wandered down to
the church on a beautiful still morning.
My first visitors were a couple from Austria who had walked from Geneva last year, This time they are walking from Roncesvalles. It is good that people feel comfortable staying in the church for a while. Antonio, the man from Barcelona, cam along and was overjoyed to see me. 'La misa de ayer me impacto mucho' he declared. He disappeared into the church and, when he emerged, there were tears in his eyes.He asked whether he could take my photo, and also told me that he was now carrying the name of the cancer sufferer who had been mentioned at mass. Surely ministry is about touching lives and giving people hope?
My first visitors were a couple from Austria who had walked from Geneva last year, This time they are walking from Roncesvalles. It is good that people feel comfortable staying in the church for a while. Antonio, the man from Barcelona, cam along and was overjoyed to see me. 'La misa de ayer me impacto mucho' he declared. He disappeared into the church and, when he emerged, there were tears in his eyes.He asked whether he could take my photo, and also told me that he was now carrying the name of the cancer sufferer who had been mentioned at mass. Surely ministry is about touching lives and giving people hope?
Hugh came through later as did a girl
from Sweden walking on her own. At one point Esteban from the bar passed by and
asked me what time I opened the church. When I said about 6.45am he said that I
should still be in bed.
Towards the end of my watch two french ladies came through. They asked, in English, about my mission. A group of youngsters from the US sat down at the door of the church and, one of them, came in for the stamp and poked his head into the church.
Outside the bar José was brushing up. He asked me about today's masses and the fiesta mass tomorrow in Teradillos.
Towards the end of my watch two french ladies came through. They asked, in English, about my mission. A group of youngsters from the US sat down at the door of the church and, one of them, came in for the stamp and poked his head into the church.
Outside the bar José was brushing up. He asked me about today's masses and the fiesta mass tomorrow in Teradillos.
Small
is beautiful
It was stiflingly hot this afternoon and so I decided to forgo t
walk to Teradillos. Reb and I drove to the Albergue Templarios where we were
told that there were fewer pilgrims. I went over to Jacques de Molay and met an
Irish man. When I mentioned the mass his German companion also said that he
would come. Back at the church there was a Spanish man from Barcelona who
seemed uncertain about joining us . During the introductions one of the men
said that he was originally from the Philippines
but now lives in the US. He has set up a trust for a dead friend. As I did my
translation back into spanish I could see that the man from Barcelona was
deeply moved. At the end there was a huge amount of emotion and people could
not speak. These masses help the participants to reach into deep places. What a
grace at the mid point of the Camino.
Think
of what they carry!
Yesterday at Mass I noticed a Dutch lady who came up for a
blessing. As she was leaving, she said that she is not very religious, but that
these masses are really important. This morning she was one of the first
through Moratinos and we had another chat at the church porch. She was walking
with the lovely lady from PA who insisted that she have a photo with me. 'You
are now part of my Camino, ' she said. The mass in English was perfect she
said. It is only then that we can really reflect on the message.
A little later the couple from Stuttgart came through. Claudia showed me the full credencial. People like this have much to teach us . The man from Brittany also came for a short chat.
Around ten Reb appeared to see whether I wanted relief. I said that I was happy to carry on for a while. As she was going I talked with a South African. One of the two Martins from last nights mass turned up and quietly explained that he was doing the walk for his sixteen year old daughter who died two years ago. When you meet a pilgrim you have no idea what they are carrying. That is why these encounters are so blessed.
A little later the couple from Stuttgart came through. Claudia showed me the full credencial. People like this have much to teach us . The man from Brittany also came for a short chat.
Around ten Reb appeared to see whether I wanted relief. I said that I was happy to carry on for a while. As she was going I talked with a South African. One of the two Martins from last nights mass turned up and quietly explained that he was doing the walk for his sixteen year old daughter who died two years ago. When you meet a pilgrim you have no idea what they are carrying. That is why these encounters are so blessed.
Under
the Castillian sun
It is satisfying that many of those who go to Mass at Teradillos
turn up at Moratinos the following morning! This morning I had ten from last
night. I closed the church after about three hours but then, at the bar, met
pilgrims from Paris, Colorado, and Ireland. The last had begun at Porto and was
doing the route in reverse.
On my way to Teradillos in the scorching sun I met an Italian
who was heading to the next village. Outside the church there was a pilgrim from the Ukraine. At the Albergue Templarios
I met the Irish who were at lunch yesterday. There was also a German couple who
set out from Stuttgart on March 17th. There was also a young Italian priest.
Once again the profundity of the introductions was overwhelming.
Back at the bar we met Paul from New
Zealand and a Frenchman from Normandy who declared that he had started at
Finisterre and was walking to Finisterre.
So many blessings
Here
and there
At mass last night I had promised the pilgrims that I would be
around the church in Moratinos this morning. In fact ten of them called
through. They were still full of last night's mass. Later two delightful
Mexican girls came through and asked for my blessing and a photo in that order!
I also had a man from the Dominican Republic.
I handed over to Oliver about ten and headed out with Mel and Bella. We drove through Carrion to Fromista. I never tire of the Church of St Martin. We also visited the parish church where I bumped into the parish priest.
We wandered back to Vilacazar de Sirga where I had lunched twenty years ago . The templar church is stunning with a fabulous retablo and some alabaster tombs.
Reb and Paddy joined us for lunch, and I was not disappointed.
I handed over to Oliver about ten and headed out with Mel and Bella. We drove through Carrion to Fromista. I never tire of the Church of St Martin. We also visited the parish church where I bumped into the parish priest.
We wandered back to Vilacazar de Sirga where I had lunched twenty years ago . The templar church is stunning with a fabulous retablo and some alabaster tombs.
Reb and Paddy joined us for lunch, and I was not disappointed.
At Teradillos I wandered over to the
Alberge to invite people to mass.We seem to have settled to about twenty. There
were two ladies from Singapore and one from Norway as well as five spaniards.
The profundity of the introductions where people reflect on why people are
walking is quite overwhelming. I had to translate back and to. These bilingual
masses are hugely appreciated. I quoted the saying which was in the kitchen at
Le Ferme de Bousee: 'Il ni y pas le chemin ver le bonheur. Le bonheur c'est le
chemin'
For a new initiative this has been truly rewarding and is clearly meeting a tremendous need.
For a new initiative this has been truly rewarding and is clearly meeting a tremendous need.




No comments:
Post a Comment