![]() |
| Mass in English in the Cathedral |
Camino Chaplaincy Santiago
The
Chaplaincy's activities started in earnest again at the beginning of May when Fr Joe Coghlan from
Cork Diocese in Ireland arrived in Santiago. Fr Joe was soon followed by Annette and Richard a married
couple and experienced parish pastoral workers from the Diocese of Baltimore in
the USA. Fr Joe is the Director of Ministry for the season and will be in
Santiago until mid October. Annette and Richard covered the first month and
were followed by another American couple, John and Robin Piggott from Portland Diocese
who are with us at the moment.
![]() |
| John from Portland |
Pilgrims
who come to the services deeply appreciate the experience. Here is a small
selection of reviews posted on the internet:
"Grateful thanks to all involved, from a Protestant what's more!" K,
Sydney
"A HUGE highlight of my last Camino." Michael, Singapore
"It was a joy to be able to attend." Sabine, Belgium
"Make sure you arrive early. In 2014 it was in a small chapel and we
were jammed in like a subway car. Excellent service though and well worth
attending." Dave
"We went to the pilgrim mass yesterday when we arrived, and it was a
fantastic and moving experience but without Spanish I could only participate in
my head. So to be able to go to the English mass this morning was absolutely
lovely. The priest asked us all to introduce ourselves by name, where we were
from and where we had walked from, and it was wonderful to hear so many
different voices - American, Canadian, Irish, a few of us Brits, Dutch, Mexican
- and a guy who lives just across the road
And it was very special indeed to have
the Pilgrim Blessing in English. Thanks to everyone involved in organising it." Janet
"I stayed in SdC for four days after completing the Caminho Portugues
last week, and attending the 10:30am English mass became a vital part of my
daily routine. I found the liturgy to be reverent and prayerful, and Father Joe
and Father Juan Carlos gave thoughtful homilies that spoke directly to our
experience as pilgrims. It was a true blessing to be able to take part." Kat, Calafornia.
"I attended a couple
weeks ago and I loved hearing the Pilgrim Blessing, as well as the Scriptures,
read in Father Joe's soft Irish accent. He made us feel very welcome and a part
of things the entire service. Definitely a highlight of the day." Faith
Camino Outreach
![]() |
| Fr Gerard |
This year
three priests of the Chaplaincy are providing a ministry to pilgrims based in
Moratinos, a small pueblo situated right on the Camino Frances. There is a
village church in Moratinos and also in the neighbouring pueblo Terradillos de
los Templarios. Due to the shortage of priests both of these churches are
normally closed and there is no daily mass. As a pilot project we are providing
daily mass for approximately two months. The priests are walking part of the
Camino each day to meet and greet pilgrims and then saying mass in the evening.
As the pilot progresses we will discuss the model and how it might be developed
over a longer period next year.
Fr Gerard
Postlethwaite arrive in Moratinos the other day. He is lodging with the Rebekah
Scott and her husband Paddy who live in Moratinos and who have been
instrumental in developing this service.
Here are
the initial reports from Fr Gerard:
"Look to
lilies of the field.
Castille
is at its glorious best -the ripe corn, a cornucopia of wild flowers and the
joyful song of birds. I reflected on Jesus' words in the Sermon on the Mount
about the lilies of the field. Just outside Ledigos I fell into conversation
with Dan from Gibraltar who was quite impressed by the idea of a priest
wandering the Camino. I met him later in San Nicolas and he introduced me to
his walking companions from Rhode Island. Over a coffee in Teradillos I met Maxim from Montreal who has
walked from Le Puy. He commented on the open churches in France. He struck me
as deeply spiritual.
Our congregation at Mass had Californians, a Brazilian, a French couple, a man from Northern Ireland and a lady from Scotland. Towards the end a couple from Italy also showed up. I used some Taize chants which went down well. It was a most fortuitous start."
Our congregation at Mass had Californians, a Brazilian, a French couple, a man from Northern Ireland and a lady from Scotland. Towards the end a couple from Italy also showed up. I used some Taize chants which went down well. It was a most fortuitous start."
![]() |
| Pilgrims arriving in Moratinos |
"Something different.
Yesterday
I agreed with Rebekah that I would open the church in Moratinos for the morning. It
was a beautiful and bright morning as I headed down before 7.30am.I could see
pilgrims already heading for San Nicolas. I reflected on the fact that two
years ago I treasured the early morning for walking.
There was a slow trickle of pilgrims through the church including three from last night's mass. A couple originally from Ukraine, but now living near Barcelona, were particularly effusive in their gratitude that the church was open. Later a man from Japan thought that I must be Anglican since I came from England! I eventually closed the church at noon and headed for a coffee where I had a long chat with the Co - owner Jose.
There was a slow trickle of pilgrims through the church including three from last night's mass. A couple originally from Ukraine, but now living near Barcelona, were particularly effusive in their gratitude that the church was open. Later a man from Japan thought that I must be Anglican since I came from England! I eventually closed the church at noon and headed for a coffee where I had a long chat with the Co - owner Jose.
This
afternoon I will walk over to Teradillos for the mass. "
| Church of San Pedro, Terradillos de los Templarios |





No comments:
Post a Comment